Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Bird Migration

Yellow-rumped Warbler in flight

Bird migration is underway now and will continue in full force, through mid-May. Millions of songbirds will enter the southern U.S. in places such as the Texas and Florida coasts when there are favorable wind and weather conditions. Clear skies, and southerly winds will launch them from their wintering grounds in Central and South America and the Caribbean. Dust off your binos and get ready to go outside, whether in your backyard, or to a nearby, or famous birding hotspot, to see the grand parade.
Here are a few web page links to migration information and radar information about migrating birds.

3 comments:

The Zen Birdfeeder said...

I find the radar tracking of night migrations absolutely fascinating. I have a hard time "reading" the radar maps, however. I'd love to attend a presentation by someone who interprets these maps.

NCmountainwoman said...

Speaking of migration...why in the world are the pine siskins still hanging around western NC in huge numbers? I've never seen them here so late. They are disturbing to my chickadees, nuthatches, and titmice and I'm tired of feeding them!

Anonymous said...

I live in the north. I have seen some warblers and other early migraters here! Great fun walking on the trails and seeing more arrivals each day!