Search This Blog

Monday, February 19, 2007

Orange Juice Woodpecker



Yesterday during the Great Backyard Bird Count, I took this photo of this male Red-bellied Woodpecker (females just have red on the nape.). Red-bellied Woodpeckers eat lots of fruit and here, in Sanibel, it's easy to lure them to the bird feeder with an orange half nailed to a palm tree. We put out a new orange half when he finishes one by cutting a small hole in the bottom of the orange and slipping it over the nail. If you have Red-bellied Woopeckers in your area try the orange trick.

2 comments:

Larry said...

I've put oranges out to attract Orioles before.The Orioles go after Mimosa and crabapple flowers in my yard while the Red-bellied Woodpeckers eat the oranges.-great picture!

Anonymous said...

I had been blaming squirrels for eating my oranges off the tree, but I just saw a Red-belly eating one right off the tree, hanging off the orange he was eating...