Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

More Photos from "Ding"


And here are some more of my photos from Ding Darling NWR, Sanibel, FL. You'll be seeing a lot of them, from me, this winter. I was kneeling down at the side of the dike at Ding Darling NWR, my attention on birds out in front of me, when out of the corner of my eye, I saw movement. I acted quickly and got on this Green Heron that zipped by. Tip, always be ready to grab an unexpected photo op.


Killdeers landed on the bank, but only briefly. I knew they would fly, and waited for that moment.


Red-breasted Mergansers were having a good time, bathing and preening. I always get a kick out of how birds that live in the water, then bathe in that water. Then again, the water does not penetrate down into their feathers when they are just sitting on the water. The act of bathing forces the water deeper into their feathers, and helps maintain those feathers.


Wow, Magnificent Frigatebirds are really magnificent. This is a male, with the reddish throat. These birds are usually seen over Sanibel when it's warmer and often on southerly winds. The weather here, as in other parts of the country, has been unseasonable warm for Jan. Hey, I'll take it.


3 comments:

Ruth Hiebert said...

These are wonderful action shots.'Ding' has always been a place ai would love to visit.

Chatterbirds said...

I just love those action shots, especially the Killdeer!

Linda said...

Lillian -- I had a similar experience at Ding Darling - focusing on a Pelican shot when a Tri-colored heron grabbed a shrimp right in front of me. I had to step backward to get a photo (which won honorable mention in a photo contest later that year!)

Always be ready!