Search This Blog

Friday, August 11, 2006

First Flight: House Wren

"To go, or not to go, that is the question."

"I dunno, that ground looks pretty far down."

"Whoa...here I go."

"I made it out of the box, now feed me, feed, me!"

I was photographing our box of House Wrens that were close to fledging and watched this baby. It had wedged itself so far out of the box, there was no turning back. It looked around and up and down, then got up its courage and launched itself. It fluttered a few feet and landed on the trelllis in the vines and promptly started to beg for food from the nearby adult. By the end of the day it had moved, along with the rest of its family, quite a distance to our woods.

Ahh, more House Wren babies in the world. Not everyone likes House Wrens because they can stuff many boxes with twigs before choosing one to nest in, and even evict resident birds from boxes. But, you gotta love 'em. Cute as a button, with a bubbly, cheerful song and endless chatter. The chatter reminds us of the sound made when a kid puts a playing card in their bicycle wheel.

All photos © Lillian Stokes, 2006

No comments: