Search This Blog

Sunday, September 13, 2026

It's Prime Time For Hawk Watching, Go Now!

Go hawk watching now! This is prime time for Broad-winged Hawks and other raptors to migrate past the hundreds of hawk watch sites across the Americas. Look for Broadwings to travel in big flocks that "kettle" up, rise on thermals as an energy efficient way of getting to their winter areas in South America. Find a hawk watch site near you by going to https://hawkcount.org/, the big database of daily sightings maintained by the Hawk Migration Association (I am a board member). Support raptors by donating to https://www.hawkmigration.org/ I started my career in ornithology when I met a Bald Eagle on Mt. Wachusett in the late '70s and was so impressed (they were very rare then) I changed my career. 36 book on birds and nature later I am still hawk watching. See you on the mountain!
(This is my composite photo of Broad-winged Hawk group, adult right, immature, left, from Stokes Essential Pocket Guide to Birds of North America)


 

No comments: