Every birder will want this beautiful, easy, fun, pocket-sized guide to the most essential birds of North America. Covers 250 species and contains more than 580 stunning, large, color photographs, most by Lillian Stokes. Packed with information, this guide provides what one needs to know to identify and enjoy America’s birds in the backyard and beyond.
- Large, stunning, main photo area covers over half the page and adjunct photos give relevant additional information
- Key identification clues to all important plumages for each species, including male, female and non-breeding plumage where relevant
- Descriptions of key behavior capturing the essential character of the bird
- Large up-to-date range maps, showing summer, winter, year-round and migratory ranges
- Calls and songs
- Habitat descriptions
- Foods and feeding habits
- Nesting behavior, including nest composition and location, number of eggs, length of incubation and nestling phases and number of broods
- Indication of which birds comes to bird feeders and bird houses
- Quick alphabetical index and color tab index
- Learning page to correct names for parts of a bird
- And much more.
Also contains advice on how to identify birds, selecting bird feeders and ten ways you can help save the birds. Slip it in your pocket or put it on the kitchen table and start enjoying the birds. Will thrill birders and even turn non-birders into bird enthusiasts.
"With everything you need (and nothing you don't) to identify more than 250 species of North American birds, this book is a work of genius. Only the Stokes could have created a guide so slim, yet so clear, concise and welcoming. This is THE guide I'll be carrying into the field!"
--Sy Montgomery, author of BIRDOLOGY
Large, beautiful main photo engages reader, plus additional photos show plumage differences
Photos can show special clues
Additional photos may show bird in flight
Pre-order your copy now!