Search This Blog

Friday, November 11, 2011

Blue Jay magic

Blue Jay with seed head of "Mammoth" sunflower

In my kitchen veggie garden I grow sunflowers (Mammoth variety), just so I can have the fun of putting the dried seed heads on my garden fence and watching the bird activity out my kitchen window. This Blue Jay has found the sunflower heads and is taking seeds and storing them away somewhere, for the winter. Blue Jays are compulsive hoarders this time of year and will empty your feeders, taking seeds away in their crop to store. These seed heads keep the jays busy and diverted from the feeders, somewhat :)

Blue Jays are quite beautiful, actually, and if we saw the in another country, away from our prejudices, we would be oooh-in and aaah-ing.

3 comments:

Ruth Hiebert said...

I agree.So many people don't like the Blue Jay,but I would miss those bright dashes of colour.I feed mine peanuts and have fun watching them choose and then hide them.

Hilke Breder said...

Great shots of bird and seed head! This time of the year makes one appreciate the common yard birds.

Chatterbirds said...

Those seed heads are a great idea!