Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Ruby-throated Hummingbirds

Ruby-throated Hummingbird at Salvia "Black and Blue" flowers

Ruby-throated Hummingbird at Stokes Select Deluxe Hummingbird Feeder

We still have hummingbirds at our hummingbird feeders and flowers. Here's a Ruby-throated Hummingbird visiting Salvia "Black and Blue" flowers. Hummingbirds are partial to red tubular flowers but they also like this salvia.
Plant lots of flowers and put up feeders to attract hummingbirds. Now is still a great time to put out hummingbird feeders, since many hummingbirds are migrating and may stop at your place. Hummingbirds have very good memories and if they find your feeders, chances are they will visit again next year.

1 comment:

Kat said...

Ilove the feeders that they can rest on. They leave our area about mid October. I just filled mine with fresh food. I only have a male and female that are here in the summer. I know they can't be the same (ones) every summer, they don't live that long. I live in the trees, so I doubt other hummers will find my feeders.