Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Loon Magic

Common Loon

The pair on the lake have a growing baby.

The adult took turns minding the young. One adult would go off and feed,

and one of them was always by its side. Wonder what the young is saying? Caption anyone?

The loons were very comfortable with me. One swam towards me.

It then began to snorkle, looking for fish.

Then it took time out to preen. What a very special treat, just being with the loons.

Loon Magic, that is what I experienced on Sunday. I sat quietly in my kayak with my telephoto lens, at a distance from the loons (on a pond where lots of people kayak, so the loons are used to it.) I just watched and enjoyed and immersed myself in the loon's world.

It was such a thrill to see these magnificent birds, going about their lives and raising their young. At one point an adult who was feeding at a distance from the other adult and young gave the wail call. Sent chills through me. Loon calls have got to be one of the great bird sounds, evoking the wildest of the wild.

This was a late nesting. Another kayaker I spoke with said they had seen the young diving, a good sign and essential in learning to feed itself, even though the adults will feed it for two to three months or longer. The young loon must grow and ready itself to leave the lake before winter sets in and migrate with the others to the coast.

8 comments:

Jason Kessler said...

Beautiful pix of a breathtaking bird. Thanks.

Kat said...

Awesome photos of the Loons. That little one is so precious. I, too, would feel very privilaged to witness this.

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

Spectacular shots. I love the Loons.
❀ Ruth ❀

Andy said...

Superb photos and apt description on the loon calls

Dan Huber said...

wonderful photo series of one of my favorite birds - could listen to them for hours on end .

dan

The Zen Birdfeeder said...

A caption? With the loving look on its face I'd say it's just, "I love you mom."

Unknown said...

The things you see when you don't have a camera! I also watched loons from a kayak in late august. There were 2 adults and 2 young. The adults were feeding the young. I did not see the young dive- didn't know to watch for that -thanks!

David said...

Incredible pictures of the Loons. I especially love the one with the chick. I bet it's saying "Mom, is there anything to eat besides fish in this lake!?"