Search This Blog

Thursday, January 07, 2010

Black Skimmer

I was just looking through some of my photo files and came across this head shot of a Black Skimmer. Check out that massive lower mandible, longer than the top. They drag that through the surface of the water, skimming the surface, then snap it shut on any fish they encounter. They're really cool birds and I will see then later this winter in FL. I will not see them at my feeders in NH. Right now I have to be content with chickadees, juncos, Mourning Doves, titmice, nuthatches, goldfinches, a cardinal pair, Downy and Hairy Woodpeckers, White-throated Sparrows and 15 Tree Sparrows (sweet).

4 comments:

Kevin said...

I saw them for the first time at Sanibel last Feb; now they are one of my favorites (along with another first for me on that trip: Swallow-tailed Kites at Corkscrew Swamp Sanctuary).

MaineBirder said...

Absolutely beautiful! Nice and sharp and colorful!

LNMP298 said...

That's a nice close-up! I love watching the Black Skimmers down in NJ; there's a nesting colony north of Cape May that I've visited.

Kat said...

I am having trouble telling the difference between the yellow Finches and Vireos. I have the same birds coming to my feeder as you!